Planning a Cut Flower Garden – Part 2

After a lot of sun watching, I have settled on this space for the cutting garden. It’s a section of the lawn that measures 5 metres long by 4 metres wide. It gets the sun from around 9:30am at this time of year, and end nearest the fence starts to get shadowed around 3:30pm, with the rest being in sun for another hour. It’s not a perfect spot, but as long as it gets a minimum of 6 hours a day it’ll do. It’s the best spot on our section.

FYI the buttercup tree has been removed as of sunday afternoon.

Within the 5×4 space, there will be 2 raised beds that measure 1.2 m wide x 4m long. There is a 500mm path all the way round the outside and a 600mm path down the centre of the plot. I’ve decided on creating no dig raised beds as my soil is heavy clay which is not only very hard to dig, but will be a mission to make suitable for flowers.


After sketching out a plan in my bullet journal, I went out there and took some photos, and measured the space properly to get a sense of the full size. I used weed matting pins and twine to mark out the beds and the outer area in order to know exactly where to start killing off the grass.


Unfortunately our lawn is made up of mostly Kikuyu Grass. This means that to completely kill the grass off I will need to use some kind of weed killer to get the process started as the roots don’t die after covering the surface and blocking out the sun and oxygen in large areas. I don’t ever use weed killer in general, but for this I will need to find something to do the job without being super nasty. I’m still currently researching, but leaning towards something like this Kiwi Care Weed Weapon Natural Power. This product doesn’t contain any glyphosate, is certified organic and safe for children and pets. Not sure how effective it will be but I’m going to try it out.

The day after spraying I will be covering the entire area in weed matting for a few weeks. After that, I will replace the weed matting areas under the beds themselves with layers of newspaper and cardboard to get the layers going. This process will take 2-3 months so in the mean time I will be figuring out what flowers to grow and doing more research.

If you are reading this and have a better solution or any extra tips for me, let me know in the comments as I am eager to learn from other gardeners and hear about your experiences doing this kind of thing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s